Friday, December 11, 2015

Uttarakosamangai Temple

It was another dream come true as I visited this great temple of Uttharakosamangai 30 minutes in bus from Ramanathapuram. I wanted to visit since I read about this temple in the history of Manikkavasagar. The two grand gopurams were very pleasing as I entered...but a question was there 'why one of the gopuram was locked?'. As I went in and saw the temple tank on the left side, I was pleased to see it full of water...I visited during the first week of November 2015, before the rain burst in Tamil Nadu really started. The greatness of the temple can be seen below...
Such a historically and spiritually great temple is NOW REALLY IN NEED OF ATTENTION.Wish the devotees across the world start doing something to restore it..See other photos...below
This is the status of it now as we go round the praharam...very very sad and painful..
Look at the condition of Dakshinaamurthy shrine... To me after seeing all the floods in Chennai and Tamil Nadu, I am only reminded of Lord Shiva's divine play with Manikkavasagar, converting horses into foxes, bringing flood in Vaigai to teach lesson on the King. To remind, King should have restored the temple at Thirupperunthurai, but he did not instead it was Manikkavasagar who renovated it with the money meant to purchase horses. Lord Shiva's divine play of flood and trouble to the people to teach an important lesson 'Keep temples in great condition and offer prayers in temples'. Do we listen? Look at the great paintings in the wall of the Goddess shrine, below...
It tells us that once it was so beautifully maintained...Now we are neglecting and are facing its consequences...shall we join and spend our money to restore and renovate this great temple?

No comments:

Post a Comment